Personal software choices for the Amiga
These are the pieces of software I personally use so I recommend them. Usual
disclaimer: I act as the Canadian registration site for Vaporware so tend to use their tools by
- Miami Deluxe -- Brilliant dialup TCP/IP stack. It's a dream to configure and works pretty much right out of the box.
- Voyager 3 -- Very capable webbrowser.
- Telser device v1.40 -- Serial device replacement so you can use normal comms programs for telnet/rlogin
- AmIRC v3 -- IRC client (MUI based)
- Microdot II -- Excellent news and email client
Local Area Networks
- Peer to Peer
- Envoy v2 -- Supports most necessary details; light on security due to the Amiga's filesystem
- NetProbe -- Find out details about your Envoy network
- Sanamon -- Sana 2 packet monitorer. Good for network debugging
- 3D Rendering Packages
- Cinema 4D -- Intuitive, straight forward, pretty powerful and makes great looking images. Here're a few examples.
- Bitmap Paint Packages
- Deluxe Paint v4.5 -- The old fall back :)
- Brilliance v2 -- Quick, good interface
- Vector Based Drawing Packages
- ProDraw v3.03 -- Older drawing package, but fast and easy to use
- ProVector v3 -- Amiga's answer to Corel Draw
- Graphic Manipulation
- ArtDepartment Pro 2.5 -- Unsupported but still extremely useful.
- Photogenics 1.25 -- Photoshop for the Amiga. Excellent, but you'll need AGA or a graphics card.
- ImageFX -- Graphics manipulator par excellence
- ContactSheet -- Creates mini-sheets of picture directories. Neat one, Bryan!
- Scala MM400 -- The ultimate presentation package (until the next one!) Buy it.
- FastView -- Fast accurate multiple format viewer
- FastJPEG -- Fast accurate JPEG viewer
- PhotoCDAGA -- Handles PhotoCD up to about 700 pixels
- TIFFView -- Handles those annoying TIFF files (and BMP and ...)
Publishing & Text
- DTP Packages
- Professional Page 4.1 -- Unsupported, but easy to use and nice GUI.
- PageStream 3.1 beta -- Heavy duty, nearing completion
- Word Processing
- Final Writer 4 -- One of the two best graphical word processors on the Amiga
- ProText 5 -- Really fast, Wordperfect 5.1 like. Ascii only.
- GoldEd v3 -- Fast extendable text editor with programmer support.
- Font Manipulation
- TypeSmith 2.5 -- Excellent vector font editor; supports TT, Type 1, CG, DMF, bitmap
- Term v4.6 -- Monster of a comms program, but has everything you'll even need (and then some)
- GPFax v2.346 -- Older fax program, but still works really well
- RIPGraf -- RIP editor. Although RIP has essentially been killed by the web, this is a good editor if you need to handle it
- Twist 2 -- Excellent relational DB with user interface builder.
- FinalCalc -- Very usable spreadsheet with decent printing
- Hispeed Pascal v1.20 -- Good TurboPascal 5 compliant compiler
- SAS C++ 6.56 -- The premiere C compiler for the Amiga
- Apple 2000 -- Excellent Apple ][+ emulator
- Shapeshifter -- Perhaps the best Apple Macintosh emulator ever; definitely the best software based one
- Music Creation
- OctoMED v5 -- Tracker with 8 voice support
- Megalosound -- Inexpensive homebased sampling package
- AudioMaster 2 -- Ancient sample, but I still use it because I know it
- AmiSOX -- Sound conversion between assorted formats
- AMFC -- Conversion of music modules between formats
- Play16 -- Plays back samples in different formats
- DeliTracker -- Excellent multiple MOD format player
- Multiplayer -- Standard ProTracker player. nice interface though.
- YACDP -- Good CD audio player
- Disk Management
- DiskSalv 3 -- Extensive disk recovery and repair program.
- Quarterback v5 -- Back up partitions
- AmiCD -- Freeware Cd-ROM file system.
- Directory utility
- Directory Opus 5.82 -- Replaces Workbench, sings, dances, even juliennes. I love it.
- AIBB -- The better of the two performance monitors
- ARTM -- Keep a close eye on everything that's happening on your Amiga, and then fiddle with them :-)
- Dashboard -- Cute little graphical CPU/memory meter
- SnoopDOS -- Essential file monitoring utility (assuming you want to see what your Amiga just tried to find and couldn't)
- On The Ball -- Compact but effective addressbook, diary, scheduler and so forth
- User Interface
- Magical User Interface -- The infamous MUI :-)
- AZap -- Hex editor. Better than NewZap.
- BorderBlank -- For that nice clean black border.
- CXHandler v3.3 -- Replacement for the Commodity Exchange
- Degrader -- Make your nice highend machine comply with those hardware banging games
- Iconian -- Brilliant icon editor.
- PowerManager -- Combines disk caching, power management, screensaving and so on.
- ToolManager -- Create pop up docks and menu items
Return to the main page. This page was last updated
on the 9th of June 2000.